Last week for preschool we had a sensory table activity.
The kids loved it. I didn't realize it would be such a hit, not only with the three and four year olds, but when Camden got home from school, he enjoyed playing with it, and after Colby "uh-uhhed" enough I gave in and let him try, and yes, he loved it. Messy? Yes. Worth it for my almost two year old who is in the "mad because I want everything I can't have" stage to be happy? Yes.
I found things I had around the house: a bag of popcorn kernels (Mimi, please let Papa know we have become quite the connoisseurs of the air popper); a bag of uncooked rice; a bag of navy beans; some extra Moon Sand, and some random beads I thew in for a little sparkle. I put these all together in an old plastic container with a cookie sheet underneath to "try" to catch the spillage. Then I hid some odds and ends or "treasures" as the kids called them to find. (Some army guys, pom poms, coins, a screw, a domino, etc). I'm going to keep it on hand as a good activity when someone is bored.
Next up: Salt art. Any of you tried this before?
I think my Aunt Shelley taught me how to do this years ago (Ashley M., do you remember this?) I've been wanting to do a test run with my boys before I introduce it to the entire 1st grade, so since Camden had Friday off from school we gave it a shot. Really easy: color salt in a baggie with liquid food coloring (you could talk about mixing colors here. Cam loved mixing and inventing new colors). Then put the different colors of salt in separate bowls.
Next, we used a spoon to dump a layer of salt into a baby food jar. (If you have a funnel, that would create less spillage). Once you have a good layer, use a different color to start the next layer. They stack up really nicely on top of each other. You can even use a toothpick to make make fancy designs filled up with different colors. Make sure you fill the jar to the very top with sand so it is compact when you put the lid on and won't shake.
And last...I just have to mention these:
Go here to check them out. I'm getting spring fever right now...and if I had a little girl, she'd be wearing this!
7 comments:
I wish I was in your pre-school. That looked really fun.
i loved coloring salt and putting it in jars! i remember you teaching dustin and i how to do it...i don't remember the food coloring, i remember coloring it with sidewalk chalk....so much fun with yessie!!!
LOVE the new Zu-Zu's! Thanks again for watching B for us...I know he had WAY more fun with you guys then he would with us!
Ah, the salt coloring. I think we had several jars around our room that you had colored. :)
Billy loves playing in rice. I give him (or let him pick out) different kitchen utensils - funnels, measuring cups and spoons, slotted spoons, and more. He just mentioned he wanted to do that again. He usually would do it when the 3 were napping. I haven't been brave enough to introduce all of them to it. I guess I should do that.
What fun activities you come up with. Yes, if I had a girl she would be wearing that too. :)
Oh, fer cute! The dresses and the little girls. And you are just way to creative. You sure didn't get that from me. I'm in Istanbul right now and just chatted with Kim. Is that amazing or what? We could sure have a fun girls' day shopping at the Grand Bazaar here!
What a fun mom! I need to do more stuff like that with my girls. I love the dresses and so did Rae(obviously she didn't want to take it off!) They are so cute!
Post a Comment