This weekend I got together with 7 of my girlfriends from high school. What a weekend we had together! I hadn't seen some of them in years...and yet it felt like yesterday we were chatting in the commons at lunch, or jam-packed in "Little Red" headed to "Rent-A-Video."
I feel like we had a unique high school experience. Yes, there was drama. Yes, there are things I wish I could go back and do differently. But, overall, these girls are what got me through it all. We talked a lot this weekend about how one of our biggest wishes for our own children is that they can have good friends in high school and the kind of fun that we did.
My friend Emily who hosted us at her house this weekend put into words best what I am feeling:
I believe friends, especially those we make in high school can have a critical impact on your life. It was such a blessing to have great friends. So here we are in real life, that's a million times harder than what we faced back then, so why aren't we leaning to the same friends who helped us make it through those sometimes hellish high school years. Bottom line, even though I have new friends, I still need my old friends just as much, even if it's in a different way. We have no idea what tomorrow holds for any of us or anyone else. I just really felt like we needed to reconnect and have that support from friends even now. I hope we came back from this weekend a little closer, and a little more aware of each other, to stay in touch and to support each other no matter what life decides to throw our way. Thank you all so much for coming this weekend. I honestly can't thank you enough. It is was so good to reconnect. You are truly great, inspiring women. Thank you! Can't wait till next year.
Our senior year, 1996.
Honestly though, after going through the scrapbooks and watching those old home videos, I still wonder how you guys put up with my starved for attention video antics? For the girls who couldn't make it this weekend, we missed you (stay tuned for Vegas reunion at Jen's next year). For our guy friends during those years, thank you also for being a part of those friends that got us through the ups and downs.
14 years later.
(with about 4 hours of sleep from the night before).
Ready to eat!
Yep...ready to eat again. We did manage to get in some shopping inbetween.
Thank you SO MUCH, Emily. It was worth the whole trip just seeing you and Kristen laugh until you cried.




11 comments:
That looks like such a fun weekend. I really like what your friend wrote about friends.
cry? when did I ever cry? I kept my composer the entire time? It must have been someone else!!!
HEHEHEHEHEH
I love laughing hard.
It's therapeutic!!
How fun that so many of you could get together! What a fun weekend!
Seriously what was so funny? I want to buy that game just cause we laughed so much. Thanks Les!!!
Yes, the guys.... They were as much a part of it as anything. I was looking through my yearbook a little Sunday night and read what Trevor wrote senior year. I got all teared up. Too bad getting married had to change the relationships we had with some of the greatest guys in the world. But the memories will never change!
You all look so great and how fun that you all have kept in touch so long. It looks like you had a great weekend.
Looks like you all had a great time. Hopefully I can make it the next time. I feel the same way about our HS friends - they (and you) are amazing and I hope and pray that my kids will have friends as great as ours. Thanks for all the rides to school in Little Red. I think about that now and how that was probably a pain for you to pick me up every morning, but you never made it seem like it. So, even though it is 14 years late....thanks!
So good to see you Leslie! I love what a good friend you are to so many people. It was fun to talk and laugh and get caught up on your life. Next year we'll have to watch Oklahoma and 7 Brides.
This was the best! I can totally relate to your weekend with old friends. I was fortunate to have had the same kind of gang of friends in high school -- and they are still so important to me. As I read what Emily said about never knowing what is ahead I thought about a fun lunch our gang had on our deck before the last reunion I was able to go to (I missed the last one and also this summer because of being 'out of town.') Anyway, I have good pictures of us that day and that was the last time we saw Joan, one of the friends who lived in Colorado and who we didn't see often because her parents had moved from Rexburg. She died of breast cancer a few years ago. And on that day at lunch I remember talking about how many women die of breast cancer (3 out of 4, or something like that?) and wondering who would be the first of us to go.
And now, getting to see one of those dearest friends, Ronda, 50 or more years later, half-way around the world at the Finland temple as missionaries was amazing. You never know what's ahead in your lives.
That sounds so fun! How neat you were all able to get away.
Looks like you had so much fun - I wish I could of been there!!Hope you are doing well - your boys are such handsome little guys.
Post a Comment