When I visited my parents this month, Camden and I enjoyed going through my "special box" where I have kept momentos from my childhood and teenage years. Among the old corsages, elaborate folded notes (remember how you pulled the tab to open), and golf trophy (oh yeah...city rec. pro.), we found this little box of treasures:
Camden thought this was cool and wanted to bring it home with us.
Contents: lots of buttons/pins (that used to adorn a sweet, acid washed denim jacket). My favorite here is "Hugs not drugs" and I'm not sure who "stacey" is from the "Stacey's Back" pin. (I have a feeling this had something to do with Babysitters Club...Kim, do you remember?); old keychains (one of the picture kind from Lagoon. I had a few of these, but this particular one has a picture of me and my friend Sarah Steel); pressed pennies from Jackson Hole and Universal Studios, and can anyone identify the red, white, and blue, circular object to the right? Luke didn't believe me when I told him what they were called.
All of these are located in a green plastic happy meal box (why don't they make happy meals like that anymore?). Not pictured and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't bring these home: the old bright colored plastic charm necklaces of the 80s, with charms (including bells) like: the whistle, toilet, baby bottle, etc.
There were also some great tapes: Duran, Duran; Milli Vanili, and lots of mixes; Some MC Escher pictures; one of those necklaces with a bottle of bubbles on it...I could go on and on. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go find a picture of me from this time period and scan it in. But I could tell you what it would look like: big hair, a skirt with leggings, and those hideous, huge white plastic earrings that I have on in almost every picture for a two year time period.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Time Capsule
Posted by Leslie at 9:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Camden showed this to me. I asked him what it was and he said it was his mom's treasures.
Lets find a tape deck and have a party!
I would have to say that I was involved in a lot of those treasures. I have the same stuff in my box. I think I can find a picture of you...one that would make us both die laughing...I'll have to get my books out.
Hoppy Taw, Hoppy Taw (no idea if that's how you spell it though), crucial to Adam's school hopscotch contests. I didn't know you still had the charm necklaces at Mom's. I think you have mine, too, don't you. I was just trying to tell my girls about them. Oh, and Cheyenne would LOVE those earings! She can't believe I didn't keep all those. lol
As for the "Stacy's Back" button, I have no idea, although it could have been Babysitters Club. The "Fir Sure, Fir Sure" button was my favorite - I think it came from Kristen, to me, to you - it's an heirloom!
Ok, thanks for the laugh. Isn't the red and white thing called a hoppy tah or something like that? The thing you play hopscotch with? Too funny! My kids love it when I go through my boxes full of "treasures"
Yes...the old Hopee Taw! Like Kim said, crucial to hopscotch at recess at Adams Elementary. Luke thinks I made up this word. (Then again, he also thinks I made up "Ske-wham-pus" and "Whoosh.")
Love it! I have the same Lagoon keychain. What a fun day that was stalking some poor boy.... I love treasures. Those were the days when we thought we were poets, singers, and artists. Our walls were covered in magazine pictures and we were obsessed with Escher paintings and boys. The bizarre movies we would make, sleeping on the tramp, and my favorite on your see saw. Those days were the best. So carefree. I'm thinking I need to bring out the old pictures and blog about it to. Good memories....
Post a Comment