Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!



Fall is my favorite time of year (and my Mom's) and since it is her birthday tomorrow, I am especially missing her. This picture was taken on our first trip to New England (we are in Concord, Mass).


Happy Birthday, MOM!
(She and my Dad are on a mission in Russia).




Speaking of all you great Moms out there...do you ever get in a rut? When you have one of "those days" (or weeks) when you are especially crabby with your kids, and have lost all patience with potty training, homework assignments, and trying to keep them healthy...what do you do to get back on track? (Short of hiring a maid and a personal chef and bathing them in Lysol every hour?)

I've been having one of those weeks...would love to hear how you balance it all.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Do you have sick kids? I'm so sorry. Three of my 4 have been home all week. But I think we're finally getting better. As for getting back on track, let me know when you find that out. I wish we lived closer and we'd have a girls night out. Exercise always helps me have a better perspective. Good luck. Call me if you need to vent.

Kristen said...

have a good cry. Eat a bunch of junk and watch a sappy movie. Get lots of sleep and maybe in the morning you'll feel better.

Jen and Chad said...

I love Kristen's response! Your boys are so cute in their halloween clothes. Potty training always turns me into a frustrated mom - I can't stand messes. I'm sure you are handling everything great - your boys look so happy, and you find time to do art projects with them! I've been reading some things from Randall Wright (an LDS speaker on parenting), and he says kids just want and need emotional time and connection with us. He says to make sure you are looking at them when they are talking to you, and really listening to them. I know when I find one on one time(which is really hard to do) with my kids and with my husband, life goes a lot smoother. Also to just get out and go for a walk by yourself always helps put things back in perspective. A lot of times for me life gets too busy and I just focus on getting everything done and I forget to stop and really listen to how my kids are feeling about everything! I have had a lot of one on one time with my oldest this weekend, and it really does make all the difference.

Geri said...

I dunno. But I can say that it does come to an end. Christmas break is coming--which is a nice break from homework. Jack will eventually cooperate with potty training--it took one of my kids until their were almost 4 years old to finally, finally, finally get it. Healthy is overrated. You won't have all of your kids cold (flu, tummy stuff, etc) free during the school year until they are out of elementary (aka petrie dish) school. As soon as my last hit Jr. High, we stopped getting sick. :) Hang in there. Hot cocoa after they're in bed with a good book does wonders.

JoMamma said...

I'm so glad you made up that story about having a bad week. I like to imagine that all other moms go through hard times just like me.

Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Mamma Mia said...

Hey, this is the birthday girl checking in from Russia. Thanks for the greetings. I love you! What a fun trip to Boston that was.

I'm sorry you are/were having a bad week. About all I can say is "Hang in there! and keep smiling. Things will get better, just can't say when.

Kimberly T. said...

Geri, as always, had great advice. And as Mom always says, "This too shall pass." My advice, just shoot for one day at a time. Or like Dori says, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming ..." I wish you were closer and I'd take your boys to let you have a break. I really hope we didn't pass more sickness to you when we were down there. Things will get better. :)